Thursday, October 13, 2016

Nomads for God


Dear Friends,

I was assigned to write a post on becoming "a nomad for God" for my church's GPS blog. It corresponded, by chance(?!), to the week I left my job, which led to the birth of this blog. Perhaps I wrote it for myself. And yet I hope that as I share my own musings and process theology along the way, it blesses you, too. The post is below, but first...

Speaking of "nomads for God," earlier this year in April, I encountered these two "brothers of the lamb" as I was touring a church building, St. Michael the Archangel in Leawood, KS, to learn about its sacred art and architecture. I introduced myself to them as we awaited the tour, and learned that they had hitchhiked about 40 minutes to see the church - they had no idea, as they waited there with me, that a tour was happening that day, at that moment. They described to me how moments of synchronicity like this happen to them all the time, as they rely on God's provision to meet all their needs - food, transportation... they beg for it all, and trust God.

I felt the nudge to take them to lunch, and we enjoyed a wonderful meal together after the tour at Spin Pizza, which they assured me was one of the best meals they'd ever had. I'll vouch for that, too!

When I took these "nomads for God" to the spot on the highway where they would wait for the next stranger they were meant to bless - the one who would stop to give them a ride back to their little monastery - they asked if they could bless me. Of course I agreed! And so we sat in my car, they gave me a little token of the Virgin Mary, and they sang in harmony a wonderful blessing upon me with their hands upon my shoulder, the energy of the Holy Spirit flowing palpably through their touch:

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord cause his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you. May the Lord's countenance fall upon you, and bring you peace."

What a blessing!
Wendy

GPS Insight 10.13.16:
In Greek, the word for nomad is νομάς (nomas), which means: one who roams about for pasture. What, then, does it mean to be a “nomad for God?”
I think it’s to sense the Spirit’s wind, not knowing where it comes from or where it will land us, and chasing it with wild trust and expectant hope. To carry the shelter of God within us and everywhere we roam, not searching for it outside ourselves. To be a nomad for God is to trust extravagantly in:

God’s provision in seasons of drought,

God’s vision through blinding sandstorms,

God’s protection when enemies surround us.

To be a nomad for God is to be truly free – deeply rooted in our wandering – and this is the good life.