Wednesday, March 9, 2016

On Light

Clutching my favorite, piping hot mug, I began to ponder this topic of light from today’s Scripture. As I tugged on the Yogi tea bag’s paper tab to infuse the water fizzy green, I was amused at the quote printed upon it:

Live light. Travel light./Spread the light. Be the light.
In the gospels, as in this adage, light reveals itself in more than one form. In English, the word “light” is a homonym, representing two different words in the Greek: elaphros and phōs.

Live light. Travel light. “My yoke is easy and my burden is light” (Matt. 11.30) – that’s elaphros.

Spread the light. Be the light. “I have come as a light into the world” (John 12.46) – that’s phōs.

Whether it’s a lightness of heart to lift the burdens of life (elaphros), or a luminous light to cast out darkness (phōs), aren’t we all in need of this infusion of Jesus’ light, not least in this heavy-dark season of Lent? I know I am. How do we receive this lightness and light? I find it in the healing properties of steadfast, passionate, pleading prayer:

Jesus, lift our heaviness, when we are overwhelmed. Increase our vision, when we cannot see past life’s circumstances. You are our only hope, the one truly worthy of our trust. Jesus, phōs eis kosmos, light of the world–en-light-en our lives so that they shine forth your glory. Amen.